Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Surf photography, Maui 1990s

When I moved to Maui in 1993, I continued my surf photography at places like Jaws, Hookipa, and south shores. It was great to watch people like Laird Hamilton and Dave Kalama riding huge waves and trying new things like straps on surfboards. It is very exciting to watch a place like Jaws breaking with its rugged coastline, high cliffs, plus it is not that easy to get to. Back then the surfers didn't wear PFDs (personal floatation device).
Wind is always a factor on Maui, so naturally I shot a little bit of windsurfing.
A lot of my shots are posted on flickr.
Here are some of my favorite shots from the 90s on Maui.
Archie Kalepa at Honolua Bay 1990s
Charlie Solario at Maalaea 1990s
Dave Kalama testing footstraps at Hookipa 1990s
Ever style master Laird Hamilton at Hookipa. Blame Laird!
Thanksgiving Day, Dave Kalama at Jaws 1990s
Casual style at Jaws, not sure who this is. 1990s
Mike Waltze at Jaws 1990s
Josh Angulo at Hookipa, 1990s

No comments:

Post a Comment